About my Blog

Lessons in the pot of a Kitchen Rookie. Here are simple recipes to play around with ranging from different cultures in Africa through Europe to Asia, cooking and kitchen tips. Find out secrets that make an ordinary meal extra ordinary. Entertain yourself with the different stories of my life and join me in my small and humble kitchen.

African Spiced Tea

A few days ago, I was coughing a lot and had a sore throat and a bad flu. I am not a doctor, but I think I can fix myself and anyone without any medication or doctor's help. Sorry Victor; this is where I don’t need your medical consultation. I just like my mama was; don’t trust modern medicine so much and love traditional herbs. So I made this ginger tea for myself. It has a warm character, helps blood circulation and kept my hands and feet warm. Besides helping with reliving me of the coughing and blocked nose trills. Though some doctors recommend not drinking it, if you have a fever I have tried and had no side effects but please I beg you, be a doll and follow your doctor’s instructions.
For my Ginger spiced tea I needed;
  • I cup of fresh milk, preferably skimmed for health reasons
  • 1.5 cups of water
  • 1 tsp Tea leaves
  • I medium crushed ginger or 1 tsp of powdered ginger spice or lemon grass as a substitute
Preparation:
  • I cleaned the ginger well by peeling the skin off and scrubbed it with a rough cloth first then used a spoon to scrub off the skin then thin sliced and pounded the ginger.
  • Placed the water in a pan to boil on a moderate heat together with the ginger
  • When it was boiled, I added the milk and let the milk rise…remember not to watch milk boil because then you will wait almost forever. Seriously try watching milk boil and see what happens ;-)
  • Added the tea leaves and let it color as desired. To me the more discolored the milk gets, the better
  • Used a sieve to strain my tea in a cup for now and some in a flask for later
  • Instead of adding sugar to taste I had honey left in my kitchen cabinet and dropped 2 tsp which was perfect for the moment.
For lemon grass flavored tea., as I said, Substitute the ginger with 3 lemon grass leaves or crushed dried lemon grass and exclude the milk.

This is for you my ginger spice tea lovers
xxx

Also make yourself an Indian Spiced Tea

0 comments: