About my Blog

Lessons in the pot of a Kitchen Rookie. Here are simple recipes to play around with ranging from different cultures in Africa through Europe to Asia, cooking and kitchen tips. Find out secrets that make an ordinary meal extra ordinary. Entertain yourself with the different stories of my life and join me in my small and humble kitchen.

Tahania Dipping

Remember I told you once that I was born in Sudan and I haven’t been there since I was like 3!.
So am always dreaming that am on a journey to Sudan and I imagine all the bright coloured Kitenges (African designed pieces of cloth for wrapping), Henna decorated hands, pierced nose, and neatly plaited cornrows. I have so many imaginations about Sudan created by memories of how my mum used to dress, the smell of her perfume, the spices she had in her kitchen and the mesmarising stories my dad always narrates to my sister and me and the momments I think of my friend Aisha and her pride in being called Ali from Sudan.
Dreaming about Sudan sometimes is not fulfilling enough so I thought to have a Sudanese touch to any cuisine in my home at least once in a while. I do this by making a Vegetable dip which I sometimes have as a starter or on the side of my main meal...

... the Tahini Dip.
The tahini Dip is a veggie dip that you can have with a carrot, cucumber or any veggie of your choice or Indian made chapatti or warm pitta bread
The ingredient amounts provided below make just 1 serving so you can change according to the servings you would like.
Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup tahini (simsim paste)
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt, I use my home made bongo
  • 3/4 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 lemons juice  
  • 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1/4 to taste salt (to taste)
  • 1/4 to taste black pepper (to taste)
Directions:
  • Mix together garlic, salt, black pepper, and tahini until smooth
  • Add yogurt and lemon juice, a little at a time, mixing well after each addition, until it is like a thick cream.
Ahlan wa sahlan :-)

4 comments:

Marika Jore said...

Oh Shenaz thanks for sharing your passion with me. I love to cook too and trying out new recipes is always exciting for me. I have always eaten tahnia with bread as a spread but never as a dip... I Look forward to trying this out.

thehalfcastegal said...

Marika, glad to hear from someone that loves food and cooking as much as I do. I hope to keep you entertained and to hear from you more often
Yours
The Food addict
@Foodelicious

Anonymous said...

Shen i found Tahnia at Garden city! Well the Lebanese version halawa) A little Lebanese shop at the basement parking - entrance to the mall. They had real Tahini too!

Shehnaz said...

Really!!! OMG am going to check it out next week when I'll be on leave, then I can tour as many restaurants as I can to find rare delicacies. Thanks :-)that's exciting. I want to know how Tahini made by the lebanese tastes