About my Blog

Lessons in the pot of a Kitchen Rookie. Here are simple recipes to play around with ranging from different cultures in Africa through Europe to Asia, cooking and kitchen tips. Find out secrets that make an ordinary meal extra ordinary. Entertain yourself with the different stories of my life and join me in my small and humble kitchen.

Baking with Eggs

Baking is one kitchen skill I really have to pull my soaks up at. It is enjoying a renaissance at the moment and eggs are a key ingredient in cakes and biscuits. Here are some things to remember when using eggs in baking. I learnt this all from my mum who could even bake using a traditional charcoal stove. I still wonder how she did all that.

When you’re making sponge cakes, beat the eggs together in a jug and add to the butter and sugar mixture gradually, whisking well between additions.
If the mixture looks like it’s going to curdle, add a spoonful of the weighed flour and beat again until smooth.

If you have any grease or oil in the bowl with the egg whites, they won’t whisk up. Similarly any egg yolk will have the same effect. Rinse the bowl out with boiling water first.
Line baking trays with non-stick baking parchment, this will peel away from the baked meringues easily.

I am yet to place my kitchen skills at baking and maybe then when I have mastered enough recipes to transfer to you, I may blog about Bakes J Wish me luck with that

0 comments: