About my Blog

Lessons in the pot of a Kitchen Rookie. Here are simple recipes to play around with ranging from different cultures in Africa through Europe to Asia, cooking and kitchen tips. Find out secrets that make an ordinary meal extra ordinary. Entertain yourself with the different stories of my life and join me in my small and humble kitchen.

Macedonia

My grandparents had different kids under their care, so I grew up with other brothers and sisters that don’t even share a drop of DNA with me. I can’t say we were adopted or fostered. I just know that he’s my brother and she’s my sister.
While Christine used to walk me to school almost every morning and Denis used to protect me from the bullies at school that liked to pull my over grown afro hair plaited into one tail, still when I went home we would have fights like any brothers and sisters in other homes.
What I have never forgotten about Denis is his Macedonia. No one makes macedonia with a touch as Denis’. My grandma always praised his skills applied at that culinary stop and he got such praises from as early as when he was just about 10years.
His secret?? Condense milk. After having assorted fruits chopped into cubes and mixed all together, Denis would pour condense milk to top up his delicious mouth watering macedonia.

While veggie salads have 10s of toppings and dressing have not seen any toppings for macedonia. Recently I came across a smooth citrusy dressing recipe and tried it out and with this recipe; I almost beat Denis at it.
This recipe makes a cool colorful treat for breakfast, lunch or a picnic.

Ingredients
  • 4.5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup of pineapple juice (equivalent to 1 pint)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup orange juice concentrate
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • Assorted fresh fruits chopped into cubes
Directions
  • In a saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients.
  • Bring to a boil
  • Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
  • Let it chill for a while
  • Serve over fruit.
You can refrigerate leftover dressing for up to 1 week.
Macedonia is just another name for Fruit Salad.

0 comments: