About my Blog

Lessons in the pot of a Kitchen Rookie. Here are simple recipes to play around with ranging from different cultures in Africa through Europe to Asia, cooking and kitchen tips. Find out secrets that make an ordinary meal extra ordinary. Entertain yourself with the different stories of my life and join me in my small and humble kitchen.

The natives there called it Mahiz

I have never been to a restaurant and had my meal as fast as I ordered it. It always gets to me almost 30minutes after order. One has to order for a meal 1 hour earlier if you are sure not to loose a temper…remember an angry man is always a …..Yep...that’s right... a hungry one
I know sometimes we get so held up and fail to deliver our lunch to the hungry son and daughter that are soon to throw a tantrum or to the husband that has a meeting to get back to fast and can not concentrate on finalizing his report.
That is why we have starters ranging from Bajias to cucumbers to carrots and for me today am thinking Creamy Corn.


The Native American name for corn was mahiz. I love sweet corn, is there any kid that does not like to see something creamy and yellow on a plate. When we were kids we always loved posho made from yellow corn flour. Corn can be got in any supermarkets. In Kampala I could find a pack of yellow corn in Nakumatt or Shoprite.
This is starter that can make your kids wait a little while longer has you wait for the stake to roast better.
Ingredients:
  • 3 cups of fresh corn
  • 3/4 cups milk (I always prefer skimmed milk)
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch (remember compensation for 1 tablespoon of cornstarch is 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour or rice flour)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt or just enough to taste
Directions
  • Place 2 cups corn, milk, cornstarch or flour and salt in a blender
  • Blend until smooth.
  • Transfer the puree to a medium saucepan
  • Add the remaining 1 cup corn.
  • Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture simmers and thickens and the corn is tender
  • 5 to 7 minutes and you have your creamy corn
Happy Meal Time!!!

0 comments: