About my Blog

Lessons in the pot of a Kitchen Rookie. Here are simple recipes to play around with ranging from different cultures in Africa through Europe to Asia, cooking and kitchen tips. Find out secrets that make an ordinary meal extra ordinary. Entertain yourself with the different stories of my life and join me in my small and humble kitchen.

In South Africa, people my kind are called Salads.....

                  ...and I like it when am called that...Salad ;-)

Ok!! so I said cooking is all about forging right?By forging I mean creativity. What do you do when you are so exhausted from a long day’s work. Have I cup of boiled rice that was left over from lunch of even last night’s dinner. You take a peek into your fridge and all you see is just 1 fruit; an apple, some frozen foods and you have no idea what to make?
I have found myself in such a situation and lucky for me I can forge my way to satisfaction

So I have the following ingredients in my fridge and honestly I don’t feel like standing near my gas stove right now.

  • 1cup boiled Rice (If you have basmati long grain rice then you are so good to go)
  • 1 Apple diced
  • I small cup boiled green peas
  • Few cauliflower florets boiled
  • 1 lemon squeezed to have the juice
  • shredded cabbage and coriander leaves to garnish
  • Some salad leaves and for my case I am going to use just the very very few lettuce leaves I have left
  • salt and pepper to taste 
    Let’s get mixing…
    • In my cool rice
    • I am going to add my apples, green peas, cauliflower florets, salt and pepper.
    • Then in goes my lemon juice
    • I love this part here-tossing tossing tossing…toss well and transfer to serving dish lined with salad leaves.
    • Garnish with shredded cabbage and coriander leaves.

    Oh I almost forgot…add some olive oil before you garnish

    0 comments: