About my Blog

Lessons in the pot of a Kitchen Rookie. Here are simple recipes to play around with ranging from different cultures in Africa through Europe to Asia, cooking and kitchen tips. Find out secrets that make an ordinary meal extra ordinary. Entertain yourself with the different stories of my life and join me in my small and humble kitchen.

Pilau Mwakenya

Jambo!!!

Tomorrow is a Sunday and family comes together for a lunch or dinner. In my mother’s home whenever we all came together she made her best pilau and no matter how hard I try, I still can not make it as good as she used to.
So if you are a kitchen rookie like I am, here is a simple recipe we can share and try out. This is the Pilau made the Kenyan way and I hope that it turns out to the best so that my Kenyan friends can eat away and say Thankyou mama, you cooked a very nice meal  and in my not so polished Kiswahili I translate it to"Asante sana Mama, we na piga chakula muzuri" .

This will serve 6
So what do we need?
  • 1 kg goat, mutton or beef cute into medium sizes
  • 4 garlic cloves pounded
  • Salt to taste
  • 9 cardamom pods
  • 4 tbsp vegetable oil or just about enough
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 cups rice (basmati rice makes the best pilau)
  • 10 whole black peppercorns
  • 8 whole cloves
  • 8 cinnamon sticks
  • 1 tsp ground ginger
  • ¼ cup cumin seed powder
  • 4 small tomatoes
  • 6 cups water
 My step by step simple procedure:
  • Boil the meat in salted water until tender.
  • Crush the garlic and cardamom together with 2tbsp water using a mortar and pestle.
  • Sautee the onion until it is golden brown.
  • Add the rice, meat, garlic and cardamom mixture, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, ginger and cumin seed powder.
  • Cook covered over medium heat until all are nicely brown, about 10 minutes.
  • Add the tomatoes.
  • Cook and stir until the tomatoes are thoroughly cooked down to the consistency of a sauce.
  • Add the 6 cups water to the rice mixture, bring to a boil and then cook over very low heat, (while covered) for another 15-20 minutes, until all water is absorbed and the rice is cooked through.
Make sure when you go on a safari to Kenya, do order a plate of Pilau served with a salad or Kachumbari (Want to know all about Kachumbari?, well, check in with us soon)

Karibu!!!



1 comments:

Cinderella said...

this was very nice!!!! cooked it on sunday!!! you have become my personal Chef!!