About my Blog

Lessons in the pot of a Kitchen Rookie. Here are simple recipes to play around with ranging from different cultures in Africa through Europe to Asia, cooking and kitchen tips. Find out secrets that make an ordinary meal extra ordinary. Entertain yourself with the different stories of my life and join me in my small and humble kitchen.

Mama's extra-ordinary Potato Salad

For 6 or 8 people, here is a simple potato salad that I make in my own way with of course a little investigation into my mum’s kitchen crime. Her potato salad was to die for.
For a long time I did not understand why I never enjoyed my own potato salad as I used to enjoy my mum’s
Then I got the secret that turned my ordinary recipe into my mum’s extra-ordinary recipe….”MILK” and “SUGAR”

ding ding ding …..yeah I know that look, I had it too the first time I realized. How do you add sugar to a recipe that contains salt addition?
Well, here is the thing.
Salt added to a recipe of containing mayonnaise can sometimes taste ewwww yaky so to contain a balance of taste (not salty mayonnaise and not tasteless salad) I add 1 flat not heaped teaspoon of sugar.
And with ¼ cup of milk or even less so it’s not so runny; added to 1 cup of mayonnaise, my Potato salad tastes extra ordinary
 Ingredients:
  • 1 cup mayonnaise I prefer American Garden make
  • ¼ cup of fresh milk or less
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar
  • Salt and pepper to taste (you can use black or chili pepper, I prefer black)
  • 1 flat teaspoon sugar
  • 6 medium potatoes, peeled, cubed, boiled not so marshy
  • 1 cup fresh green peas boiled not marshy tender (do not cover when boiling to avoid getting the covers peeling off)
  • 3 eggs, hard-boiled cut in cubes same size as the potatoes (this is just so it looks organized) my mum always said even food that tastes not so delicious can be enjoyed when it looks beautiful on a plate. She believed in beautiful food
  • 2 tablespoons chopped tiny green onions or green pepper, (optional)
  • 1 tomato cut in wedges to garnish (optional) Use the tomatoes meant for salads
Preparation:
  • Combine mayonnaise, milk, vinegar, salt, sugar, and pepper in a large bowl.
  • Add remaining ingredients; toss gently to combine well.
  • Cover; chill for 2 or more hours for best flavor.
  • Garnish with chopped green onion or green pepper and tomato wedges if desired. 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

hiya and welcome food-elicious.blogspot.com admin found your site via search engine but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered site which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your site http://xrumerservice.org they claim they managed to get close to 1000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my blog. Hope this helps :) They offer best backlinks Take care. Jason