About my Blog

Lessons in the pot of a Kitchen Rookie. Here are simple recipes to play around with ranging from different cultures in Africa through Europe to Asia, cooking and kitchen tips. Find out secrets that make an ordinary meal extra ordinary. Entertain yourself with the different stories of my life and join me in my small and humble kitchen.

The Mayans: Are they all about the apocalypse?


Every time the word “Mayan” crosses our minds, we think “apocalypse”, cult”, mass murder and all those things associated with the end of days.

It’s been cold the past few days and yesterday, I found myself spending half of my day in bed, with my laptop watching “The Event”, a series all about science, fiction and a lot of things that can turn a sane mind into a whirlwind of confusion. I mean how does a plane take off from one state and pass through a portal only to end up landing into another state? ….Weird huh Even I think am not making sense.
Anyway so it all made me think of the end of days and that’s how I found myself thinking about the Mayans.

However, there is more to the Mayans than all those bad stories we read on the internet.
The Mayans were the only ancient American civilization with a recorded history of their own. According to, allchocolate.com the Mayans are the first true chocolate fanatics that treasured cocoa.

Chocolate in the Mayan culture played a part in their religion. Reading about the Mayans is one thing that fascinates my mind. I love most of the computer games that involve Aztec which is a common word in the history and culture of the Mayans; I could go on and on and on about the Mayans but what I really want to share with you all is a Mayan recipe of Hot Chocolate,

Don't knock it till you've tried it. This hot chocolate drink is rich, delicious, and kicky and may end up making you abandon your traditional ties. No kiddie marshmallows needed; this is for grown-ups.
Once, my mama told me was that cooking is an art because every little mistake you make can turn out tasty just as beautiful art by the slippery hand of a painter.
Everything in this recipe can be altered to suit your taste, however I recommend following the recipe to the step the first time you try it.

What do I need?
  • 1 cup milk, I use fresh diary made in Uganda 
  • 3 tablespoons instant hot chocolate mix or the most common id Cadbury’s drinking chocolate
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper, remember the long green chilies that is so common in the Indian cooking? Well cayenne pepper looks the same but red instead of green. You can find ground cayenne pepper in any supermarket or stores
Following the Aztec game;
  • Mix the hot chocolate mix or drinking chocolate powder, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper together in a mug
  • Pour the milk into a glass measuring cup
  • Heat in microwave on High until it begins to boil, about 2 minutes.
  • Slowly pour over the mixture in the mug, stirring with a small whisk as you pour.
  • Enjoy immediately

I know I said this should be a hot drink but putting a scoop of vanilla or strawberry ice-cream atop just makes my cup of Mayan Hot Chocolate look so seducing. You don’t have to add ice-crème you know.

0 comments: