About my Blog

Lessons in the pot of a Kitchen Rookie. Here are simple recipes to play around with ranging from different cultures in Africa through Europe to Asia, cooking and kitchen tips. Find out secrets that make an ordinary meal extra ordinary. Entertain yourself with the different stories of my life and join me in my small and humble kitchen.

Dancing Carrots Season, Episode 1

Carrot Soup

Planning a lunch or dinner for about 20 guests is no easy task. Even though I can cook, I can't really do it all like my mother used to, everything seemed so easy when I watched her do it but I try so hard to be like her in the kitchen and I still miss something. One thing I remember her telling me is that when you have such a hard time preparing a huge meal, make a variety in small enough portions. When there is a variety, there is always plenty. Carrot soup saved one of the lunches my aunt threw for my graduation get together. The dancing carrots season includes carrot gravy, carrot curry and carrot soup. Due to a ringing demand from my dear Aunt Jackie, am putting through a recipe for Carrot soup.
So, we need
  • Vegetable low fat cooking oil
  • 3 large carrots, thinly grated
  • 1 ½  large onion thinly sliced
  • 2 large tomatoes wholly boiled to easily peel off skin
  • I small cup of boiled fresh green peas (an option)
  • I teaspoon of Royco or any vegetable cubes
  • Chilies to taste (powder or whole green chilies sliced in halves)
  • Pinch of salt or as desired
  • ½ teaspoon of crushed garlic
  • ¼ teaspoon of pounded ginger
Procedure
  • Place the pan on a medium hot fire
  • Pour in the cooking oil and let to heat
  • Add the onions and sauté till golden brown
  • Add the peeled and chopped tomatoes and stir till you get a nicely thick base
  • Add the ginger, garlic, salt, Royco and chilies and stir for 1 minute
  • Add the carrots
  • Add 2 cups of fresh water
  • Cover and let it boil till half way drained
  • Add the boiled peas
  • Cover and let it boil for about 15 more minutes
  • Be sure that when it is ready, the water is enough to have yourself a soup than a curry
*You can have this with some rice, bread, or as a starter
*Remember, measurements for ingredients can be made by basic instinct and after continuous cooking you can close your eyes and use your sense of smell to know what color the onions are fried to
*Vegetable meals require more garlic than ginger

Watch out for Episode 2: Carrot curry

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks my darling! This will be Friday lunch! Waiting for the carrot curry next!

Foodelicious said...

Carrot Curry coming up...
Yours
The food Addict
Foodelicious

Madhura Manoj said...

Sounds delicious...First time here.Visiting from Indian food bloggers group LinkedIn.you have a lovely blog...Happy to follow u.Do visit my blog.
http://www.easycookingforamateurs.com/

Foodelicious said...

wow Madhura...I just visited your blog. It has left me feeling flattered that you would say mine is lovely :-). It has alot of inspiration. I definately would enjoy following.
Yours
The Food Addict
Foodelicious