About my Blog

Lessons in the pot of a Kitchen Rookie. Here are simple recipes to play around with ranging from different cultures in Africa through Europe to Asia, cooking and kitchen tips. Find out secrets that make an ordinary meal extra ordinary. Entertain yourself with the different stories of my life and join me in my small and humble kitchen.

Dancing Carrots Season, Episode 2

Carrot Curry

In the first episode we made ourselves a Carrot Soup, I hope everyone who tried it enjoyed it. I made it yet again and this time with a little more chilies. I find it so soothing especially with the flu I was suffering from, I couldn’t have asked for a better remedy.
Today I present to you in Episode 2, the Carrot Curry that comes out thick and tomato saucy. It not only looks so delicious served atop your white boiled green vegetable rice but the way it caresses your tongue mmmm am so sure you are going to love this one

In my cabinet I have;
·         Vegetable oil
·         ½ teaspoon of mustard(rai)
·         ½ teaspoon of cumin seeds(jeera)
·         1 cup of tomato puree
·         1 tablespoon of Tomato paste
·         Red chilies to taste or 3 green chilies slit in halves
·         ¼ teaspoon of finely ground ginger
·         1 ½  cups chopped carrots in cubes or round
·         Some curry leaves(Limuli) optional

For the tomato puree
·         Wash the tomatoes
·         Cut them into 4s
·         Place them into a blender and blend till smooth

For the Curry
·         Add the vegetable oil to a non-stick pan
·         Add the mustard and cumin to heat till they stop to pop
·         Pour in the tomato puree and cover fast to contain the aroma of the mustard and cumin
·         Add in the tomato paste, chilies, salt and ginger
·         Stir and let it heat till you make a thick base
·         Add the carrots
·         Add ½  cup of fresh water
·         Cover and let it cook till you have a soft carrot think curry
·         Serve hot atop your green vegetable rice or with chapatti or naan

Watch out for Episode 3: Carrot Gravy
 

0 comments: