About my Blog

Lessons in the pot of a Kitchen Rookie. Here are simple recipes to play around with ranging from different cultures in Africa through Europe to Asia, cooking and kitchen tips. Find out secrets that make an ordinary meal extra ordinary. Entertain yourself with the different stories of my life and join me in my small and humble kitchen.

Why glasses are shaped different...

... they serve differently.
I have not always known much about why glasses are shaped differently. I imagined I just had to pick a glass that looks good and feels right in my hands.

Then one day I just wondered if there is a wine glass and a whiskey glass, there must be more to the shape of the glass than just the looks and feel.
I mean, why does my dad insist on his whiskey glass and why are all his whiskey glasses always short.

So I decided to have a little bit of fun finding out and learning about what glassware is needed in every cabinet.
From sites like delish.com, I found these different glasses, their purposes and since to me pictures speak 000's of words I thought a picture of each glass would help us understand what the glass looks like.

I hope you enjoy realising the different glasses and their purposes. I know I had fun learning them and am still trying to master them though am sure I will never know what brandy in a brandy sniffer will ever test like ;-)


Short Tumbler
About 150ml in capacity with straight or slightly sloping sides.
Used for fruit juices, water, whiskey on the rocks, and soft drinks.

Tall Tumbler
A capacity of 350ml with straight or slightly sloping sides
Used for drinks mixed with fruit juices, exotic tropical drinks, highballs, soft drinks, iced tea, and other drinks that require lots of ice cubes.

White Wine glass
About 110ml capacity on a stemmed base.
The typical wineglass for white wine has a smaller bowl and taller stem, so the warmth of your hand won’t reach the bowl and destroy the wine’s crisp flavor.


Red Wine glass
Varying capacity; should be large enough to be filled only one-third full, so the wine can be swirled to bring out its full flavor.

Cocktail glass
About a capacity of 110ml, with a wide-rimmed top and a stemmed base. Used for martinis, Manhattans, and other mixed cocktails.

 
Tall flute glass
110ml capacity, with a tall, narrow bowl on a stemmed base.
Used for Champagne, sparkling wines, and Champagne cocktails.
Liqueur glass
This is about 50ml capacity on a short-stemmed base.
Used for small amounts of liqueurs and cordials.

Brandy snifter
Varying capacity with large, round, wide-bottom bowl that narrows to a slightly inverted rim and a short-stemmed base.
Made to be cradled in the hand so that the brandy may be warmed and swirled to release its bouquet.

0 comments: